“When you feel like quitting, think about why you started.”
Obesity has emerged as one of the most dreaded diseases of this century. Obesity has poor effects on almost every organ in the body. Unfortunately, there is no magic pill yet, that can help people to lose weight. People who have attempted to lose weight, know how difficult it is to not only lose weight but also to maintain the weight loss. Unfortunately, more often than not, they meet with disappointment and once the weight loss program is stopped, they tend to gain more weight than what they had lost. This entire process can be extremely disheartening and disappointing for the patients.
If you have tried hard to lose weight without success and the weight is now bearing you down, you have chosen the right option because bariatric surgery is the only way at the moment that can lead to sustained weight loss in morbidly obese patients. Bariatric surgery, not only helps to lose massive amount of weight, but it also makes it easier to maintain the weight loss.
Laparoscopic mini gastric bypass (MGB) or single anastomosis gastric bypass (SAGB) in Thane
Laparoscopic MGB/SAGB has become one of the most popular weight loss bariatric procedure in India. It is a technically easier procedure and has good weight loss results.
Who is a right candidate for laparoscopic mini gastric bypass in Thane
The IFSO- APC (International Federation for Surgery for Obesity and Metabolic Disorders – Asia Pacific Chapter) guidelines for weight loss surgery are as under:
- Bariatric surgery/obesity surgery/weight loss surgery must be considered for the treatment of obesity for acceptable Asian candidates with BMI ≥ 35 Kg/m2 with or without any associated diseases.
- Bariatric surgery/metabolic surgery must be considered for the treatment of type 2 diabetes or metabolic syndrome for patients who are inadequately controlled by lifestyle alterations and medical treatment for acceptable Asian candidates with BMI ≥ 30 Kg/m2.
- Bariatric surgery/metabolic surgery may also be considered as a non-primary alternative to treat inadequately controlled type 2 diabetes or metabolic syndrome for suitable Asian candidates with BMI ≥ 27.5 Kg/m2.
Laparoscopic MGB/SAGB has particularly good results for obese patients suffering from type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol etc. It may be considered for super-obese patients as a one stage surgery.
There are concerns about bile reflux and diarrhoea after a MGB and this must be discussed with your bariatric surgeon in detail.
How Mini Gastric Bypass Surgery in Thane done
- This surgery is performed by laparoscopic or key-hole technique. In this technique, 4 to 5 tiny 0.5 to 1 cm cuts are made on the abdomen and the entire surgery is performed using a camera and laparoscopic instruments. This is minimally invasive and there is no big cut like the surgeries performed earlier. All the stitches are absorbable and no stitches are to be removed later. Advantages of laparoscopic surgery are- less pain, faster recovery and earlier return to work. Most patients are discharged from the hospital 36 to 48 hours after their operation depending on their clinical status.
- During the surgery, a longitudinal pouch of the stomach is created using surgical staplers. A 150- 200 cm loop of the small intestine called the jejunum is re-routed and attached to this pouch using staplers. In this surgery, a major part of stomach, first part of the intestine called duodenum and some part of small intestine called the jejunum is bypassed.
- This surgery leads to more mal-absorption than Roux-en y gastric bypass and one has to be careful about nutritional supplementation and protein intake. It can also lead to diarrhoea in some cases.
Bariatric Surgery FAQ (Frequently asked questions)?
Yes, it is essential to follow a high protein liquid diet prior to surgery. This helps to reduce the swelling on your liver. This makes the surgery easier for the surgeon and safer for the patient.
Tests must be carried out atleast 2 weeks prior to weight surgery in mumbai. In case any abnormalities come up during this period, it gives the doctor some time to correct them. Also, in case you need fitness from other specialists such as a cardiologist, chest physician, endocrinologist etc, it gives us enough time.
Yes, one attendant, preferably a family member must accompany you during your stay in the hospital.
No, infact we encourage you to start walking after 4 to 6 hours of your bariatric surgery in mumbai. You can go to the washroom yourself. Even after getting discharged from the hospital, being active is recommended. There is usually no need for bed rest after this weight loss surgery in mumbai.
One needs to be on liquid diet for about 15 days post bariatric surgery in mumbai or weight loss surgery in mumbai.
Drinking alcohol, smoking or any other kind of substance abuse is to be strictly avoided after bariatric surgery in mumbai or weight loss surgery in mumbai. If you feel that you will not be able to stop smoking or drinking after the surgery, it is advisable to not undergo this surgery. There can be grave consequences later on.
Most patients get back to work in a week’s time. Every patient is different and some may get back to work earlier and some may take a bit longer as well.
Some degree of hair fall is expected with any kind of weight loss be it due to dieting, exercise or bariatric surgery in india. This hair fall is transient and once the weight loss stabilises, hair growth increases. At times, excess hair fall may happen due to protein or iron deficiency. Proper nutritional supplementation can help in limiting hair fall.
Most often we observe an improvement in the confidence levels of most patients. Weight loss and improved body image lead to positive changes in patient attitude. Yes, you will need to get used to smaller portions of food, but after the surgery your hunger and cravings will decrease considerably and your body will support you in your journey towards weight loss. It has been seen that patients who are on antidepressant medication before surgery, do not need to take those medicines after surgery. Very rarely do patients get depressed after bariatric surgery in mumbai and in those cases, the in house psychologist will help you.
Most patients experience rapid weight loss in the first year after surgery. Weight loss surgery in mumbai not only improves patient confidence but also increases the charm. Most patients find a renewed vigour to live life and enjoy their new life. Some degree of skin sagging does happen due to weight loss but it can be curtailed with regular exercise and weight training.
There is no limitation to what the human mind and body can achieve. Everything is possible; however, it depends on your age, clinical profile and the effort put in.
Patients who have undergone liver and kidney transplant tend to put on weight due to corticosteroids and immunosuppressant drugs. Weight gain after transplant can have ill effects on the new liver as well and can lead to liver disease over a period of time. There are a few reports about bariatric surgery in india having been done on post- transplant patients but the reports are equivocal. In such cases every patient needs to be evaluated on an individual basis and the treatment has to be tailormade pertaining to the clinical condition of the particular patient.
Liver disease is commonly associated with obesity. Fatty liver and NASH (non-alcoholic steato-hepatitis) are seen often in obese individuals. If they do not lose weight, a significant percentage of these patients may progress to cirrhosis of liver. Bariatric surgery in mumbai in such patients is decided based on their Child-Pugh score. Patients with Child’s A cirrhosis may benefit with bariatric surgery but the decision has to be taken after consultation with the hepatologist. However, each patient is different and treatment must be tailormade as per the individual case. Patients with higher degree of cirrhosis are not recommended to undergo bariatric surgery.
Dialysis per say is not a contra-indication for bariatric surgery in mumbai. The decision for surgery is taken after consultation with the concerned nephrologist. Pros and cons of bariatric surgery need to be weighed before recommending it to such patients. However, the outcomes of a kidney transplant are said to be better if the patient has lost significant amount of weight prior to the transplant.
Bariatric surgery in mumbai can be advised for morbidly obese adolescents if they have completed their growth. This is assessed by certain tests. Surgery must be advised only in extreme cases and must be done after consultation with an endocrinologist.
Bariatric surgery must strictly be avoided in young children and toddlers.
Obesity is a pre-disposing condition for formation of gall bladder stones. Rapid weight loss can also predispose one to develop gall bladder stones. 8 to 10% patients tend to develop stones in the gall bladder after bariatric surgery in mumbai. However, post-operative administration of urso-deoxycholic acid can reduce the incidence of stone formation.
Massive amount of weight loss can lead to sagging of skin in some patients. At the end of 2 years after bariatric surgery in mumbai, it can be assessed whether the patient needs to undergo plastic surgery. A plastic surgery consult is scheduled at 2 years and the patient along with the surgeon can then take a decision regarding the same.
How does it lead to weight-loss
Following mechanisms lead to weight loss after laparoscopic MGB/SAGB.
- Narrow longitudinal stomach pouch restricts the amount of food that a person can eat. There is significant caloric restriction after this surgery.
- Satiety sets in earlier and hunger sensation goes down.
- The re-routing of intestines causes mal-absorption. This means that some part of the food that a patient consumes, will not be absorbed by the body.
- After this surgery, certain intestinal hormones are activated and these aid in weight loss as well as remission of co-morbidities such as type 2 diabetes etc.
- There are many other mechanisms and yet unidentified role of bile acids and gut flora that may help in weight loss and remission of co-morbidities after this surgery.
Results of laparoscopic MGB/SAGB in Thane
- Patients may lose up to 70 to 80% of their excess weight over a period of 12 to 18 months after this surgery. This can become better if the patient modifies his/her lifestyle and follows a strict diet and exercise program as guided by the team. Best results are seen in patients who are motivated to follow a healthy lifestyle.
- This surgery also leads to a significant improvement in associated diseases such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, risk of venous thrombo-embolism, gout, acid reflux, fatty liver, PCOD, infertility, joint pains, obstructive sleep apnoea and so on.
Bariatric Surgery/Obesity Surgery/ Weight Loss Surgery in india Patients Before After Photos
Long term weight loss goals
- Bariatric surgery must not be seen as a short cut to weight loss. The patient and the doctor must work as a team to achieve best results in the long term. It is extremely important to be diligent with your follow-up to get best results after surgery.
- Long term weight loss goals can be achieved with help of a team that consists of a doctor, an endocrinologist, a nutritionist and a psychologist. This support team of experts will keep you motivated, provide advice and help you to work through weight-loss barriers.
- Attending support group meetings is very important for long term success after bariatric surgery.
Who is not eligible for weight loss surgery?
Apart from the routine contra-indications for any surgery, laparoscopic mini gastric bypass must not be performed in the following:
- Pregnant women
- Patients with severe psychiatric disorders
- Patients with inability to take nutritional supplements and protein.
- Patients who are medically unfit for surgery and anesthesia
- Laparoscopic MGB/SAGB surgery is as safe as any other surgery like a knee replacement or a gall bladder surgery. Infact, the complication rate is much lower than cancer surgery or surgery for esophagus, valve replacement etc.
- It is important to follow the protocols set by the team and to take nutritional supplements as advised. Failure to do so may result into nutritional deficiencies in future.
- Smokers must strictly stop smoking. Smoking can lead to complications that can be life-threatening. If you are not confident about giving up smoking after this surgery, our advice is that you must not undergo the surgery at all.
- The team will discuss the pros and cons in detail with you during your consultation.
Dr. Aparna Govil Bhasker has one of the highest experiences in performing banded as well as non-banded Roux-en y gastric bypass surgery in the country. The biggest plus of coming to us for your surgery is our personalized care. Every patient is equally important for us and we assure you that your smallest queries will be addressed at the earliest.
It is also extremely important for the patient to be mentally prepared and be positive before undergoing a surgery. A positive attitude goes a long way in getting good results after surgery. We request you to be positive and have faith. We wish you all the best for your journey of weight loss. Cheers! to being a different you.
Last but not the least- “There is no shortcut. It takes time to create a better and stronger version of yourself.”
Dr. Aparna Govil Bhasker
Bariatric and Laparoscopic Surgeon
Currae Specialty Hospital
Ground floor, Highstreet cum Highland Corporate Centre, near Big Bazaar, Kapurbawdi, Junction, Thane, Maharashtra 400607
Email: email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
Website: www.bestbariatricsurgeon.org www.aparnagovilbhasker.com
Linked in- https://www.linkedin.com/in/dr-aparna-govil-bhasker-82836b34/
You tube- https://www.youtube.com/user/aparnagovil/videos?view_as=subscriber