“When you feel like quitting, think about why you started.”
Obesity has emerged as one of the most dreaded diseases of this century. Obesity has poor effects on almost every organ in the body. Unfortunately, there is no magic pill yet, that can help people to lose weight. People who have attempted to lose weight, know how difficult it is to not only lose weight but also to maintain the weight loss. Unfortunately, more often than not, they meet with disappointment and once the weight loss program is stopped, they tend to gain more weight than what they had lost. This entire process can be extremely disheartening and disappointing for the patients.
If you have tried hard to lose weight without success and the weight is now bearing you down, you have chosen the right option because bariatric surgery is the only way at the moment that can lead to sustained weight loss in morbidly obese patients. Bariatric surgery, not only helps to lose massive amount of weight, but it also makes it easier to maintain the weight loss.
Laparoscopic Intragastric Balloon Insertion in Hyderabad
Laparoscopic intra-gastric balloon insertion is a weight loss procedure for adults who are overweight or suffering from obesity.
It is a good option for those who have tried other weight loss programs like diet, exercise, behaviour modification etc but have still failed to lose weight. It is also recommended for patients who are super-super obese and are at high risk for anesthesia. In such patients, a balloon can be inserted as a first stage to make the patient lose some degree of weight and make them fit for subsequent bariatric surgery.
It can also be used as a weight loss aid in patients who are very high risk and medically unfit for surgery.
Who is a right candidate for intragastric balloon insertion in Hyderabad
The IFSO- APC (International Federation for Surgery for Obesity and Metabolic Disorders – Asia Pacific Chapter) guidelines for weight loss surgery are as under:
- Bariatric surgery/obesity surgery/weight loss surgery must be considered for the treatment of obesity for acceptable Asian candidates with BMI ≥ 35 Kg/m2 with or without any associated diseases.
- Bariatric surgery/metabolic surgery must be considered for the treatment of type 2 diabetes or metabolic syndrome for patients who are inadequately controlled by lifestyle alterations and medical treatment for acceptable Asian candidates with BMI ≥ 30 Kg/m2.
- Bariatric surgery/metabolic surgery may also be considered as a non-primary alternative to treat inadequately controlled type 2 diabetes or metabolic syndrome for suitable Asian candidates with BMI ≥ 27.5 Kg/m2.
- Gastric balloon is usually recommended for overweight patients or those suffering from grade 1 obesity. The other spectrum is formed by those patients who are super-super obese and may be very high-risk candidates for anesthesia. In such patients the balloon is inserted and it helps them to lose some weight in the first stage. This brings down their risk and later they become better candidates for surgery.
How is it done
- Intra-gastric balloon insertion is an endoscopic procedure performed as a day care procedure in the endoscopy department.
- This procedure is performed under general anesthesia. First, an upper GI endoscopy is performed and the stomach and food-pipe are inspected for any abnormalities such as ulcers etc.
- The balloon is then inserted and inflated with methylene blue stained fluid.
- There are two types of balloons- adjustable and non-adjustable. Some of these balloons can be removed after 6 months and some can last upto 1 year.
How does it lead to weight-loss
Following mechanisms lead to weight loss after laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding.
- Intra-gastric balloon insertion is a restrictive procedure. The balloon occupies space in the stomach and limits food intake. It leads to early satiety. Patients feel full much earlier despite eating smaller quantities of food.
- Intra-gastric balloon can be kept in situ for a period of 6 months to a year depending on which type of balloon has been used.
- Some balloons are adjustable and have the facility for subsequent adjustment as per the weight loss.
Results of intra-gastric balloon insertion
- Patients lose significant weight after this procedure. Results are better if the patient embraces lifestyle modification and follows a strict diet and exercise program as guided by the bariatric surgery team.
- This procedure also leads to a significant improvement in associated diseases such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, risk of heart disease, risk of venous thrombo-embolism, gout and so on.
Long term weight loss goals
- Bariatric surgery must not be seen as a short cut to weight loss. The patient and the doctor must work as a team to achieve best results in the long term. It is extremely important to be diligent with your follow-up to get best results after surgery.
- Long term weight loss goals can be achieved with help of a team that consists of a doctor, an endocrinologist, a nutritionist and a psychologist. This support team of experts will keep you motivated, provide advice and help you to work through weight-loss barriers.
- Attending support group meetings is very important for long term success after bariatric surgery.
Who is not eligible for intragastric balloon insertion in Hyderabad
- Pregnant women
- Patient with acid reflux disease and hiatus hernia
- Patient with gastric outlet obstruction
- Patients with severe psychiatric disorders
Side effects or problems
- This is a reversible procedure and there is a tendency to gain weight once the balloon is removed.
- It is important to follow the protocols set by the team and to take nutritional supplements as advised. Failure to do so may result into nutritional deficiencies in future.
- Smokers must strictly stop smoking. Smoking can lead to complications that can be life-threatening. If you are not confident about giving up smoking after this surgery, our advice is that you must not undergo the surgery at all.
- Rarely the balloon may leak inside your stomach and in that case you will start passing blue colored urine. In such a situation you must visit your doctor immediately and schedule a balloon removal.
- The team will discuss the pros and cons in detail with you during your consultation.
Dr. Aparna Govil Bhasker has been practicing bariatric surgery for over a decade now and has a significant experience with intra-gastric balloon insertion. The biggest plus of coming to us for your surgery is our personalized care. Every patient is equally important for us and we assure you that your smallest queries will be addressed at the earliest.
It is also extremely important for the patient to be mentally prepared and be positive before undergoing a surgery. A positive attitude goes a long way in getting good results after surgery. We request you to be positive and have faith. We wish you all the best for your journey of weight loss. Cheers! to being a different you.
Last but not the least- “There is no shortcut. It takes time to create a better and stronger version of yourself.”
Dr. Aparna Govil Bhasker
Bariatric and Laparoscopic Surgeon
Apollo Spectra Hospital, Plot No. 1 & 6, Kothaguda X Roads, Near Harsha Toyota Showroom, Kondapur, Hyderabad, Telangana 500032